The Sussex chickens are a multi-purpose chicken; well established as good layers and they lay even in the coldest whether, they are also fat rounded chickens that are used widely for their meat purposes. The Sussex forage in your backyard well making them economical choices of chicken and they will attach to their owners more readily than other breeds. The curiousness of the Sussex leads them to follow their owners around the backyard, especially on garden duty where they will look for worms!
- Origin: English
- Size: 3-4 kg
- Rarity: Common
- Purpose: Meat & Eggs
- Recognized Variations: Brown, Buff, Light, Red, Speckled, Silver, White and Coronation.
- Large and light Brown
- 200-350 Eggs Average Annually
- The Sussex is a graceful bird with a long broad and flat back and a square-rectangular build.
- The tail is particularly noticeable at a 45degree angle from the body.
- Hardy in Winter: Yes
- Especially Docile: Yes
- Personality: Confident, Curious and Friendly
Download our Ultimate Breeds Handbook