As backyard chicken keepers, we know that cleanliness is so important to the overall health of our precious flock. Yet, with so many cleaning products to choose from, it can be overwhelming and time consuming to read the labels, checking for any ingredients that may harm our chooks. So, what’s the answer? Go back to the basics - say goodbye to harsh chemicals and say hello to all natural cleaning solutions. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), fresh fruit, herbs, vodka, brown sugar, flowering plants ,vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks - just what do all of these ingredients have in common? They clean without the aid of chemicals and leave behind a lovely scent that lingers long after your cleaning chores are complete!
Although it may be a bit more time consuming to clean your chicken coop using all natural ingredients due to the preparation time necessary, the benefits are egg-ceptional! Try out the following cleaning solutions once you've removed all of the soiled bedding.
- The most basic option for cleaning your chook coop is a mixture of vinegar and water-either ACV or white vinegar will work. Simply mix about 15ml of vinegar with water in a spray bottle. Spray on and wipe off with a damp rag or sponge and voila…clean, fresh smelling coop!
- Or, mix up 120 ml vinegar plus 60 ml baking soda with water in a 2 litre spray bottle.
- The Lemoncello cleaner is all-natural and effective (but prepare this one three months in advance!). Ad 5 lemon rinds and 1 cup of brown sugar to a 2 litre bottle of water. Shake until the sugar is dissolved. Loosen the cap of the bottle, and store for three months so it ferments. After three months, strain it through a sieve and use the liquid to clean!
- Lavender, vanilla and mint is also a lovely scented coop cleaner - check out our Herbs for Hen Health: Lavender article for the recipe!
- For a simple citrus cleaner, fill a jar with lemon and orange peels and pour white vinegar on top. Let the mixture sit for several days, up to two weeks, then strain the liquid into a spray bottle for use.
If your busy little chooks have dropped some stubborn droppings onto their coop floor, clean- up is at the ready in your kitchen pantry-mix up a paste of baking soda and water. Or sprinkle baking soda liberally on top of the stubborn mess and scrub. The abrasiveness of the baking soda should do the trick and leave the surface clean and smooth.
For more sweetly scented homemade hen-safe cleaning concoctions that will surely inspire your chooks to utter a contented sigh as they settle in to roost at night…Ahh Coop Sweet Coop”, please see keep returning to our page!
Happy cleaning = happy clucking!