The Pekin chicken breed is known to be a true bantam chicken of Chinese origin. Pekins are short, mostly only every reaching 20-30cm tall. The feathers of the pekin a so profuse that they cover them from head to feet almost completely hiding their feet! The breed is quite popular and comes in some of the most elegant colourings.
- Class: Chinese
- Type: Original Bantam
- Size: 0.5 – 0.7kg
- Rarity: Rare
- Purpose: Eggs
- Recognized Varieties: Black, Blue, Buff, Cuckoo, Mottled, Barred, Columbian, Lavender, Partridge, White, Birchen, Silver Partridge.
- Egg Laying: Slow – 50 – 100 Annually
- Egg Colour: White or Cream
- Egg Size: Small
- Comb Type: Single Comb
- Feathered Legs: Wealth of feathering on feet and legs
- Appearance: Miniature Chicken; often only 20-30cm tall and very rounded.
- Hardy in Winter: No
- Especially Docile: Yes
- Personality: Docile and Gentle Natured. With careful and regular handling they make ideal pets for families with children. Peking Bantam cocks can be aggressive once matured as they become protective.