Breed Profile: ISA Brown
If you would like an all around great chicken that lays LOTS of great big brown eggs, then look for ISA Brown Chickens! They are wonderful chooks! They are sweet, friendly quiet mannered chickens that enjoy sharing affection with their human families. And, to top it all off, grab your egg baskets, because these beautiful copper penny coloured hens are prolific layers. Typically, a single hen will provide your family with three hundred to three hundred and fifty big brown eggs per year. How egg-citing!
- Origin: French
- Size: 4.5-5.8kg
- Rarity: Common
- Purpose: Egg Production
- Recognised Variations: Copper
- 300+ Eggs Average Annually
Caring for your girls is easy. They are wonderfully low maintenance and adapt easily to various climates and surroundings. Being the prolific egg-layers that they are though, these gals may need some supplemental protein due to the fact that their bodies convert the protein from their feed into egg producing fuel and thus, their lovely feathers will need some protein TLC. Early maturation allows these chickens to begin laying anywhere from sixteen weeks to twenty-two weeks of age versus the point of lay of other breeds which can be up to twenty-four weeks or even longer. Purchasing ISA Brown Chickens at point of lay is a wise decision and a great place to start whether you are a veteran or a new chicken keeper looking for an egg-cellent, highly reliable laying hen.
- Hardy in Winter: Yes
- Especially Docile: Yes!
- Personality: ISA Brown Chickens are one of the best breed for a first time chicken owner, they are extremely personable and get along with humans extremely well. Isa Browns are also a great choice for the family with children, whether the kids are at home or school age, ISA browns are gentle chickens that tend not to be flighty around children as some other breeds are.
- Family Friendly Rating: 4.5/5
- Other Chicken Breeds with high 'Family Friendly Rating': Orpington, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Polish & Barred Plymouth Rock
For more information about this wonderful and reliable chicken breed, have a peck at the 5 reasons we love ISA Brown chickens right here!
Download our FREE EBook about Chickens
Get all of the info you'll need to raise healthy chickens and get great-tasting eggs.Download Now