Hello chicken keepers!
Mother Hen’s Day is just around the corner. In my house that means a lovely morning in bed with some fresh breakfast bum nuts! Being an avid mumma chook, I have sampled quite a few egg dishes over the years, but when it comes to Mother Hen’s Day breakfast there are 3 egg dishes that my family always relies on to make me smile.
Here are my 3 favourite Mother Hen’s Day breakfasts in bed!
Brown Sugar Pancakes
Nothing says comfort like a stack of warm pancakes! The brown sugar gives them a delicious caramel flavour.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 bum nut
- 3 tbs butter
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a microwave proof jug, melt the butter and mix in the brown sugar while the butter is warm so it dissolves.
- Add the milk and egg to the slightly cooled melted butter and brown sugar and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over medium high heat and ladle about 1/2 a cup of the pancake mix into the pan.
- Once the pancake bubbles start to burst, flip over to cook the other side.
- Stack 'em high and drizzle or spread with your fav topping (I love rosella jam on mine!)
Poached Bum Nut
The simple things in life are always the best! Have a peck at our guide on how to poach the perfect egg here (Mumma Hens - print it out and give to your family to refer to). Keep it basic - just add fresh cracked pepper, sea salt and good crusty sourdough with butter! YUM!
Sunny Side, Yup!
When you keep your own chooks, you really notice the difference between free range and commercial eggs. If your girls are fed right, home raised eggs have brighter yolks and stronger whites that hold their shape. There is no better way to let your bum nuts sing then by simply serving them sunny side up! I like to have a sunny side up egg with some baked beans, warm buttery toast and (don’t tell the food snobs) a little tomato sauce!
These egg recipes are all easily tackled by kids and partners, so there is no excuse for any mumma hen to miss out on a bum nut breaky in bed this Mother Hen’s Day! While you rightfully relax, why not have a stickybeak at our egg related articles here?