The Top 5 Natural Health Products for Chooks
Hello chicken keepers!
When it comes to the care of my chooks I prefer tried and tested natural products and methods to keep them cluckin’. Here are my top 5 natural products for happy, healthy hens!
- Superfine grade Diatomaceous Earth is an eggcellently natural way to prevent and combat mites and lice and is easy to add to your chooks regular dust bath spots.
- Chicken Coop and Run
- When mites and lice attack I fight back with a good dusting of Superfine grade Diatomaceous Earth. The smaller grade powder gets down to the base of my hens’ feathers and prevents lice and mites from taking hold.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Add it to their water
- Adding 1 ml per chicken per day to your chooks’ water supply will keep their water fresh and ensure they get the right amount to keep their tummies in tip top condition.
Want to know the secret for a clean, fresh coop? Free from excess moisture and odours? Natural HEMP BEDDING. It is completely organic, super absorbent, pest repellent, lasts a long time and breaks down fast in the compost or on the garden bed. A bale will last about 6 months for a flock of 3 chooks. Have a stickybeak at our guide here.
Garlic has fantastic natural benefits for chook-kind! It helps their body repel pests and parasites, boosts their immune system and keeps insects away from the chicken coop.
Add it to their water
- Add a few garlic cloves to your hens’ fresh water supply daily.
Add it to their feed
- Add a few crushed fresh garlic cloves or a teaspoon of natural garlic powder to your chook feeder.
Toss garlic skins into your nesting boxes
- Mix garlic clove skins into your chicken coop nesting box bedding to prevent pests and parasites.
There are many herbs that make a great addition to your chicken flock’s feed, coop, chook run and the backyard. From pest repellent properties to health boosters, herbs really are nature's medicine for hens and humans alike! Have a little peck at my top 10 herbs for hens here.
Download our FREE EBook about Chickens
Get all of the info you'll need to raise healthy chickens and get great-tasting eggs.Download Now