Hello chicken keepers!
Or should I say, hello poultry keepers! The backyard isn’t just for chooks anymore: people the world over have clued in to the wonders of bird-kind and the fantastic benefits of keeping different varieties together. Watching backyard poultry get along nicely is one of my favourite things! Check out this adorable video of a chicken and a duck having a lovely stroll!
This weekend’s Mother Hen Tips take you through the different types of backyard poultry, and the challenges and rewards of each!
- Ducks! Probably the most popular of all chook companions, ducks won’t be much of a challenge for the average chicken keeper. Give them a pond to bathe in, some run space to sleep, and some extra-wheat, and you’ll be rewarded in with huge, yolky eggs.
- Geese! Jumbo ducks, with a twist! In addition to all the duck necessities above, geese also need plenty of grass to graze on. In return, expect 40 absolutely ginormous eggs per year: save them for a special egg-casion!
- Guinea fowl! I’ve already covered these cranky caretakers before, but to remind you: if your flock (and your garden) needs a bodyguard, look no further.
- Quail! Essentially micro-chickens, quail aren’t too different from their much larger sisters, except that everything is smaller - coop, feed and eggs. I wouldn’t suggest mixing quail and chickens though! Pecking order disputes can get ugly fast.
- Pheasants! These shy birds are lovely to look at, but won’t give you much of a chance - they prefer to hide when their keeper comes knocking. Give them somewhere to flee, but enjoy their beautiful plumage from a distance.
And that’s not even scratching the surface! If you’re egg-cited to dip your toes, why not check out my Ultimate Guide to Backyard Poultry?
Looking for some chooks to join your Poultry pals? Finding suitable chickens that'll enjoy the company of other poultry can be a challenge. It can be eggstremely overwhelming to find the perfect chickens for your flock. From looks, to traits to egg-laying talents - where should you begin?
Cluckily, our friends over at Chickenpedia have created an amazing Chicken Breeds Course. This extensive online course shares valuable advice on choosing the right chickens for you as well as size & frequency of eggs laid. You will even learn about their individual personalities, and be able to use their family-friendly compatibility scale through this well-structured program. It really is a great way to find your perfect backyard buddies which is why I highly recommend them to all of my readers! The courses are beginner-friendly and filled with vital information to help you raise a happy, healthy flock.
As chicken keepers, we want to do an eggcellent job when caring for our feathered friends. Unfortunately, many of us struggle to handle chicken health or behaviour issues, especially in the first few years of having a flock. Chickenpedia have a full range of comprehensive online courses that cover everything you didn’t know you need to know and then some more! From healthcare to raising baby chicks to feeding and behavior, get the knowledge and confidence to successfully look after your chickens like an eggspert!
As a member, you will get access to ALL their fantastic courses. So, no need to wing it, become a confident chicken keeper. Click here to check out Chickenpedia today!