Australorps are known as the Australian Orpington. They are renowned for being calm, friendly and very good layers. The feathers of an Australian Orpington are very soft and contain hints of purple and green when in the sunlight.
- Origin: English
- Size: 3-4 kg
- Rarity: Common
- Purpose: Meat & Eggs
- Recognized Variations: Black, White and Blue
- Large and light Brown
- 250-300 Eggs Average Annually
The Australorp comes in both the bantam and standard sized chicken and in an assortment of colors. The black however, is the most common colour and had shiny, glossy feathers and a beetle green sheen.
- Hardy in Winter: Yes
- Especially Docile: Yes
- Personality: Docile, calm and loving chickens, the Australorps are known to be dignified and an absolutely delightful bird to have in the backyard.
- Family Friendly Rating: 4/5
- Other Breeds with a high “Family Friendly Rating”: New Hampshire, Barred Plymouth Rock, Polish, Silkie, ISA Brown, Rhode Island Red & Orpington.
Need more? Have a sticky beak at 5 reasons to love Australorps here.
Download our Ultimate Breeds Handbook